Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Lent journey: SABBATH


Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— things which are mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.
Colossians 2:16-17 (NASB)

Personal reflections:  Even as I struggle with the discipline of this daily Lent practice (taking time to post my photo for the day and wanting to record scripture and my thoughts), God is teaching me so much!  As a child, I was taught to "follow the rules."  There were no other options.  When I became a believer, once again, that pattern was established in my faith life.  I was taught everything is 'black and white,' but as I continue my journey it becomes more and more apparent that most things are actual in the "various gray tones!"  

This Lent practice brought the discovery that in Latin, the Bible is actually the Old Covenant and the New Covenant.  It has really changed how I am looking at God's Word and my eyes have been opened in a new way.  So, when Sabbath was the word-of-the-day, I winced (as I have been struggling with observing the Sabbath for many, many years).  I decided to see what the New Testament said and the verse above was revealed. Whoa.  Oh. my. goodness. Caught in a religious way of thinking.  Raised our children and struggled with activities on Sundays.  Oh, to be able to go back and have a DO OVER again...., but alas I can only learn and move forward and allow God's grace to heal and soften past mistakes.  And, to walk in this newly discovered FREEDOM!

I do think taking Sabbath rest is important.  I get worn out if I go, go, go, go.....  And I, personally, need to step away from the busyness of life and quiet all around me to better hear what God is saying to me, to pray and learn at His feet.  But now, I do have a new understanding regarding Sabbath according to the New Testament; grace and freedom.  

God's amazing grace!


This girl is always up for getting away and meandering about the pasture....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! Abundant blessings on your day... Joanie