Thursday, July 28, 2011

Gooseberry-Blackberry-Blueberry Streusel Pie (gfdf)


Our garden is bursting with fruits and vegetables right now and I am blessed with my first gooseberry harvest! I discovered gooseberry pie at Marie Callender's restaurant and have been in love with them ever since - but it's not easy to find this pie. I jumped at the chance to grow my own berries (despite a garden hotline person telling me I wouldn't be successful in doing so).

I attended a facebook Pie Party a few weeks ago and I discovered a recipe that I had to try plus I grew all three berries in our garden!

For the original version, please visit Debbie's blog here. If you have no food restrictions, try her recipe. Great job Debbie!

Here's my gluten-free, dairy-free adaptation.

Gooseberry-Blackberry-Blueberry Streusel Pie

My pie crust recipe can be found here.

For the filling:
1 cup organic cane sugar
3 Tablespoons arrowroot powder
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 cups gooseberries
2 cups blackberries
1 cup blueberries
OR (combination) of 5 cups assorted fresh berries; rinsed and dried

For the topping:
6 Tablespoons golden brown sugar
6 Tablespoons raw pecan pieces
6 Tablespoons Earth Balance buttery sticks, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 cup gluten-free old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill GF All Purpose Baking Flour

**You'll want your favorite vanilla ice cream in the freezer. Mine is Almond Dream.

Make up my pie crust recipe (or your own favorite recipe). Using about 2/3 of the dough, roll it out and place it in a glass deep dish pie plate. Flute the edges, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. *I did this following the original directions, but I have no idea why it's chilled.

*My gooseberries are fresh, but my blackberries and blueberries are from last season and were frozen. I measured out the frozen fruit and placed them in a bowl to thaw for a few hours. Once thawed, I added the gooseberries and mixed gently.

Turn the oven on to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl combine the sugar, arrowroot and lemon juice. It makes a thick paste. Add to berries and mix gently. *The paste won't disperse fully, so don't worry about it. Let this sit while you prepare the topping.

Put all the topping ingredients into the bowl of your food processor. Whir them until combined and no flour is visible. Mine was pretty sticky.

Pour berry mixture into pie crust and distribute evenly. You really need to use your hands to drop the little bits of the topping mixture, so know they are going to get messy. Drop small bits of the topping mixture all over the berry mixture.

Place a baking sheet on the lower rack of your oven (to catch berry juice overflow). Place your pie on the top rack and bake for 45 - 50 minutes. When the crust is golden, the topping browned and the berries bubbling - it's done!

Let cool for a couple of hours before cutting. Add a scoop or two of your favorite vanilla ice cream and enjoy! We loved it.

Ready for the oven!

It looks and smells wonderful!

ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. Ridiculously delicious!

    Awwww, thanks for the love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to see all your wonderful pictures of your harvests! SO wish we could do the same...someday...maybe in Hawaii!! : ) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! Abundant blessings on your day... Joanie