Friday, February 20, 2015

Lent journey: ALONE


"Be still and know that I am God."  Psalm 46:10

Personal reflections:  Being alone.  One of my biggest struggles.  In general, it seems people are drawn to be part of a community ~ our lives are one big social connection; even more so today with social networks, twitter, instagram, snapchat, and on and on.... We're too busy to really be alone, and yet, God desires for us to come away and be alone with Him.  He has so much to share with me, to teach me, to give ~ and yet, why do I find it so "nearly impossible" to turn away from all the "social" connections and be with Him?

God designed us for community.  He desires that we gather together and praise and worship Him; to pray together - to be His Church.  And yet, it seems, that some have fallen into religion (not a judgment, but an observation) - checking off their weekly "God time" and then it's off to the next activity ~ Seahawks football, children's soccer, coffee dates or wine tastings, checking Facebook updates, and so on....  These are not bad things, as long as they don't keep us away from spending quality alone time with God.  

If my attitude is:
  • daily Bible reading (5 minutes)
  • pray with hubby before he heads off to work
  • attend Sunday morning service at a local church or do I really need that?
Will I wake up and realize that I am in a rut?  Will I choose to be still or will I be distracted and look out the window to see what everyone else is doing? Am I really in relationship with God?  Am I willing to say NO to religion and YES to relationship with God/Jesus/Holy Spirit (once again)?  

If this is my desire, then.....being ALONE with God is required.  I must BE STILL.  I must choose to sit at His feet, talk with Him, listen to Him, spend time in His Word (not setting a timer to say, "Time's up.  Got to run."), be available for Him to interrupt my day/my plans.  It is so easy to get into a rut in our faith journey.  I am thankful that God is stirring me up, getting my attention; seeking me through a photo Lenten project to gently, lovingly call me back to my relationship with Him...  To be ALONE with Him and discover again how very much HE loves me ~ and you!

Will you choose to be ALONE with God today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! Abundant blessings on your day... Joanie