Thursday, July 16, 2009

State of the garden...

Spaghetti squash!

Sugar pumkin (shaded by big leaves)

Sugar pumpkin in full sun!

The squash "pile" with green beans behind them

(When planting the squashes, I remembered that people talk about squash plants growing on compost piles - and with our dirt not being real healthy, I decided to dump a half of a bag of dirt and nearly the same of compost, mix them together and stick the squash plants in. Looks like it worked! There are actually 4 different hills ~ zucchini, spaghetti squash, crookneck squash and sugar pumpkins)

My rhubarb loves its new home! YAY!

(...and the other plant that I thought might not make it, is recovering and has new growth!)


My broccoli is growing!

(However, I've really been battling cabbage worms (little greens worms that keep eating leaves) and I've been picking them off and squishing them daily - though I'm happy to report that a number of spiders have taken up residence and lowered the worm population! I did lose my kale to the worms, but hoping to get the brussel sprouts and broccoli to harvest...)

What is left of the lettuce bed. We've been having salad multiple times per week! I can only harvest the lettuce when it's shaded, as the yellow jackets are all over them when it's sunny...

Snow peas! They've been abundant and sweet...

Blaine and Nicholas have been 'eating, eating' them!


Yellow wax beans

I've been harvesting them already and there are many, many on the plants. Can hardly wait for our next stirfry!

What's this? Our first cherry tomato is nearly ready!

Our 4 monster cherry tomato plants!

We'll have oodles of tomatoes soon enough...
Blaine can hardly wait!


My two thornless blackberry plants are growing well.

The raspberries and blueberries are doing quite well too...

I've really determined that the soil here just isn't really healthy. I tried to build up the planting areas with dirt and compost I brought in, but it's "melting away". We'll need to build raised bed for everything! Now, I just need to figure out the design.

For fertilizer, I've used a liquid fish fertilizer by Eco-Nutrients (and I've only applied it once a month and I use it when putting in new plants).

All-in-all, I'm pretty pleased with how the garden is doing thus far...

I've done a major blog update today, so it's off to work on the garden and house ~ and I'll return to my blog another day!

Happy Summer and Happy Gardening!

1 comment:

  1. It's been too long since I checked out your blog. Your farm seems to grow by leaps and bounds! The herbs will be a great addition to your garden dishes, won't they?

    Great to be using and maintaining what you have (garden shed)...

    And the birthday celebrations (both) look to have been happy times for all. Good to see you are active and productive. You guys are doing MAJOR, MAJOR stuff this year! Take care of your body!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! Abundant blessings on your day... Joanie