Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Lent journey: MEDITATE



How well God must like you - 
you don't hang out at Sin Saloon,
you don't slink along Dead-End Raod,
you don't go to Smart-Mouth College.

Instead you thrill to God's Word, 
you chew (meditate) on Scripture day and night.
You're a tree replanted in Eden,
bearing fresh fruit every month, 
Never dropping a leaf,
always in blossom.

You're not at all like the wicked,
who are mere windblown dust -
Without defense in court,
unfit company for innocent people.

God charts the road you take,.
The road they take is Skid Row.

Psalm 1 (The Message)


Personal reflection:  This is my spiritual life passage.  The Psalm speaks life and guidance to me.  And in reading it again today, it makes me feel alive and also gently and lovingly reminds me that I need to get back to being "thrilled" or "delighted" (NIV) in God's Word daily.  While I do focus on God's Word often, the Lord has revealed to me that I am not meditating upon it as He would desire I do.  So thankful, again, for this Lenten journey and all our amazing Lord is sharing with me.

Along my spiritual journey, I've messed up plenty of times.  So glad God doesn't keep score.  But, His Word reminds me of all I am through Christ and as His child. That is wonderful news, indeed! 

And from my Christian Growth Study Bible - a study excerpt about verses 1-3...

Secret of an abundant life:

George Mueller began a ministry that rescued hundreds of starving orphans from death in the slums of England.  As important as his role was in showing these needy children the love of their heavenly Father, the ministry was never Mueller's first priority.  He believed God's highest call on his life was for intimate relationship with Him.  God had shown him that the way to have this was through daily Bible meditation.

The concept of meditation comes from a Latin word that describes a cow chewing the cud.  The grass is eaten, chewed, swallowed, regurgitated, chewed some more and swallowed again.  The process is repeated until the food is fully digested.  Mueller said, "God showed me that I should go to His Word to chew on it early in the morning.  This is not something I do for my ministry, but something for me personally, that I would be nourished."

History testifies to the tremendous impact this meditation had on his life and ministry.  Imagine what God could accomplish through each of us if we started each day by meditating on the Word!

George Mueller's faith life has also had a great impact on my own spiritual journey...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! Abundant blessings on your day... Joanie