It's late Tuesday in Seattle and I've been thinking alot about Simplicity over the past few days. What does simplicity mean to me? What do I need to do to live a simpler life?
So what's definition of simple:
1. easy to understand, deal with, use, etc.: a simple matter; simple tools.
2. not elaborate or artificial; plain: a simple style.
3. not ornate or luxurious; unadorned: a simple gown.
4. unaffected; unassuming; modest: a simple manner.
5. not complicated: a simple design.
6. not complex or compound; single.
7. occurring or considered alone; mere; bare: the simple truth; a simple fact.
8. free of deceit or guile; sincere; unconditional: a frank, simple answer.
9. common or ordinary: a simple soldier.
10. not grand or sophisticated; unpretentious: a simple way of life.
11. humble or lowly: simple folk.
12. inconsequential or rudimentary.
13. unlearned; ignorant.
14. lacking mental acuteness or sense: a simple way of thinking.
15. unsophisticated; naive; credulous.
a. composed of only one substance or element: a simple substance.
b. not mixed.
18. Botany. not divided into parts: a simple leaf; a simple stem.
19. Zoology. not compound: a simple ascidian.
20. Music. uncompounded or without overtones; single: simple tone.
21. Grammar. having only the head without modifying elements included: The simple subject of “The dappled pony gazed over the fence” is “pony.”
22. (of a verb tense) consisting of a main verb with no auxiliaries, as takes (simple present) or stood (simple past).
24. Optics. (of a lens) having two optical surfaces only. –noun
25. an ignorant, foolish, or gullible person.
26. something simple, unmixed, or uncompounded.
27. simples, Textiles. cords for controlling the warp threads in forming the shed on draw-looms.
28. a person of humble origins; commoner.
29. an herb or other plant used for medicinal purposes: country simples.
Synonyms:1. clear, intelligible, understandable, unmistakable, lucid. 2. natural, unembellished, neat. 8. artless, guileless, ingenuous. 10. Homely 12. trifling, trivial, nonessential, unnecessary. 13. untutored, stupid.
Can you relate to any of these definitions? Identify with any of these words? What I am I looking for in being a woman of Simplicity? What are you looking for?
The more I've been considering this, the less certain I am about what it means or how it will look... I always thought that if we moved to a less populated area, we would find a simpler way of life. If I could just get all 'my ducks in a row', then we could begin living a simpler life; to slow down and enjoy life more... But, we don't live in a perfect world and we could "live" in that ideal place and still not have a life of simplicity. Life happens. Relationships are stressed or fall apart, illness, financial stress, disappointment, failure and on and on.
What I'm realizing is that I must learn to live a life of Simplicity in the midst of dwelling daily in a fallen, chaotic, sin-filled world. Only as Christ is Lord in my life will I truly be able to achieve this... I am so excited to begin this study!