Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Lent journey: BLESS

Catching back up on my Lent practice after a couple of really busy days.....


"I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you;
I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing.
I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you."
Genesis 12:2-3


Personal reflections:  What on earth does a photograph of rhubarb have to do with the scripture you posted?  Thanks for asking!

This is a passage that is commonly heard in church sermons.  At least, I heard it fairly often, especially in my early, impressionable years of faith.  We are all sons and daughters of Abraham (Abram) and this was the promise God made to Abraham (Abram).  As God's child, I simply accepted and believed that this is what God would do in and through my life and who I was to be - BLESSED TO BE A BLESSING TO OTHERS.

When we dismantled our urban farm, I blessed others with the plants that I had in my garden.  One of the special plants was my rhubarb.  I was given a few "starts" a number of years ago - first planting it at our Marysville house and then moving two of the plants to our Burien house.  I have no idea what variety it is, but it is vigorous and healthy and the rhubarb is delicious.  I've made and served strawberry rhubarb pie to many visitors, especially our missionary friends as it seemed a special favorite for them.

I cut my rhubarb plants into various sized pieces to share starts with others I knew.  I did keep one piece for myself, but was very depressed as our move time drew near and ended up composting it as I felt like I'd never have a 'farm garden' again.....   

But things have changed and God is blessing us in ways that continually amazes me.  Oh me of little faith....  I had visited with my friend, Lori, last summer before we moved to our current location in Enumclaw and saw just how large her rhubarb "start" had gotten since August of 2013.  Establishing itself quite well.  So, I asked if she would mind if I cut a start off of her plant to re-establish a plant of my own.  Yes!    

I drove up to Lynnwood on Monday and cut out the lower piece of her plant (photo below), which is in the photograph above.  I had blessed Lori and now she was blessing me in return; a ongoing blessing cycle.  Sometimes, when we "throw away or cut out" something from our lives it is over and never to be returned.  Other times, God restores back to us what we lost or gave up on.  God's grace and blessing was felt in my hands as I cut the piece of rhubarb away from the plant and placed it in the soil I had prepared for it.  I was also reminded of my friendship with Lori.  Though we don't see each other often and when she moved north, we moved south, we do connect once or twice a year and our conversation is always a blessing to us both.  

I am reminded once again that if we open our lives up to allow God to bless us (and keep our hands open and not hold those blessings tight for ourselves) and then bless others - God's blessings will continue to flow in and through our lives.  I have a new rhubarb plant to show for one of those blessings!  God is so good.  All the time.



Lori's rhubarb plant in her garden


Lori and I in her back garden...

We don't see each other often, but it's a delightful afternoon of chatting when we do!



God had many blessings for me on Monday....

The new Chaco Canyon Bakery and Deli is now open in Greenwood, so I was able to stop and enjoy a delicious lunch in our old Seattle neighborhood before driving north.


And, the Uprising Seeds racks are up and filled at PCC Fremont and I purchased quite a few packets for our new garden this season....  

Won't you make yourself available for God's blessing to come to you and to share it with others?  You are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! Abundant blessings on your day... Joanie