Saturday, February 28, 2015

Lent journey: POWERS




"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, 
so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."  
Romans 15:13


Personal reflections:   Participating in rethinkchurch's project this Lent season has been a really sweet blessing thus far...  Today, I thought I knew the direction I was going to share, but the Holy Spirit had other plans for me...  I, initially, posted a different picture, but the words didn't come.  So, I asked myself again, "What should I share?  I feel a bit stuck." And then, I remembered what Steve said to me today.....nature.  Now, I was ready to share.  Thanks Steve. 

So...........today was a different day at Small Blessings Farm, as Jim's brother, Steve, and sister, Kathy, came for a visit.  Upon arriving, they came down to the blueberry field and I was introduced to them.  I didn't expect to interact with them again while they were there.  As Jim and Brenda visited with them, I was alone finishing the blueberry weeding.  Such a beautiful day to be outside and I rejoiced and praised God for the work ahead of me; knowing that today the weeding would be complete.

As I neared the end of the final row, Jim's brother, Steve, walked down toward me and we had a really lovely chat together.  The content wasn't important, but it blessed us both and it was an unexpected gift to my day.  Jim joined us a little later and he and I celebrated completing the weeding with a high-five and I did a little happy dance.  Joy overflowed!  

I headed up to their house to use their bathroom before heading out to the barn to see the sheep and Brenda invited me to come sit and visit with she and Kathy.  Another unexpected gift to my day!  Soon Brenda, Jim, Kathy, Steve and I were all visiting together.....  The blessings just went on and on and my joy grew!

I don't know about you, but for me, sometimes God shows up in our lives with His mighty powers and other times His power is like a little breeze; gentle, but present.  I felt like I was amongst friends that I had known for many years; not an outsider or newcomer, but one who belonged in that place and fellowship was easy.  And, it was a reminder again that wherever God takes me in this life's journey, joy and peace will fill me up as He provides for my every need.  His power will be strong when needed and gentle too.  There will always be hope as I continually trust in Him.  

Weeding a blueberry patch on the final day of February; a beautiful sunny Saturday.  Who knew?! 


Small Blessings Farm in Enumclaw and their u-pick blueberry field.  

It's a special place and I can already see families coming out for their yearly visit and making memories together; measuring the years in pictures as the blueberry plants, children and grandchildren grow alike... I can hear children's laughter, see blue stains on little fingers and big fingers too, hear the birds singing, and there's Brenda welcoming another carload of people arriving at the farm.  


Today, as I finished helping Jim weed the final section of their blueberry patch, I felt great joy bubble up inside me and God's peace wash over me while I worked, as I have been so wonderfully blessed to pull weeds, have my hands in the soil, engaged in meaningful conversations with Jim, hearing the frogs and birds singing as well as the baaaaaaaaaaaas from ewes and little lambs, discovering different kinds of beetles, watching new life prepare to burst from the blueberry plants and knowing that God had worked in and through my life once again to bless others....  

I experienced anew the power of the Holy Spirit at work in my life and I am "overflowing with hope" as I stand amazed that "weeding" could affect me so wonderfully indeed.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! I see I have much to catch up with!
    Thankful with you for all your blessings, Joanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca ~ lovely to see you stop by! Blessings on your day.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! Abundant blessings on your day... Joanie