Thursday, February 26, 2015

Lent journey: PLACE



"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul.  He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake.  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.  You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.  Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."  Psalm 23


Personal reflections: I have always thought and told others that the place where I find quiet and restoration for my soul was near water.... Kayak Point Park, Alki Beach, the ocean, a creek, river, Green Lake in Seattle, but in contemplating the word PLACE for today and the Lord laying Psalm 23 on my heart, I realized my experience is as it is written.....  green pastures; quiet waters - both places bring spiritual restoration to me.

I loved working and dwelling in the main garden area of our urban farm in Burien; with Blaine, with Coco, with our chickens; amongst the plants...  It was a sanctuary.  I have experienced similar feelings over the past two weeks assisting Jim in weeding several of the rows in his u-pick blueberry patch.  And, being amongst the pregnant ewes "waiting" inside and outside of the barn at Small Blessings Farm. I look forward to clearing a garden space behind our rental house (soon and very soon) and hold onto hope of getting chickens, once again, maybe even later this year.  I'm thankful for opportunities to participate in bee-centric beekeeping classes this year with Jacqueline Freeman of Spirit Bee.

My faith journey has always been connected to Creation.  Lately, I cannot separate my faith from farming/being a steward of the soil, plants and animals and the people connected to those places,as well.  It IS my life, my passion.

And yet, at the same time, I am reminded that while I am living here on earth, my eternal home is "in the house of the Lord forever."  I am so blessed by the beauty of this life, but my focus must remain on the glorious beauty of eternity with Christ. 

While Psalm 23 is a very familiar psalm (likely the most well known of all the psalms for many people), today I realized what an amazing declaration it is!  Life now, life forever.  God's faithfulness to us...now and always.

Praying for you, dear reader - that you may know and experience the incredible blessings and exciting adventure that God has for each one of us!  May you know those "green pastures and quiet waters" in your life and restoration for your soul.  You are loved.

One day, if God desires, I will work with a musician and actually record this little worship song the Lord laid on my heart a couple of years ago....

I stand amazed
I stand amazed
This life, Your love
It abounds

I stand amazed
I stand amazed
The beauty, The sights
The sounds

I stand amazed
O, I stand amazed
This creation, for us
so profound

I stand amazed
I stand amazed 
This creation......
For us.......
So profound......

I stand amazed
I stand amazed
I stand amazed
         I stand amazed........    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! Abundant blessings on your day... Joanie